Instructions FOR ALL PATIENTS to follow prior to your procedure:
- To maintain cleanliness of the injection site, please bathe or shower the night before or morning of the procedure using antibacterial soap, such as Dial, or Hibiclens.
- Wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing that can be easily fold for storage.
- If you are taking any BLOOD THINNERS (Coumadin, Plavix, Eliquis,Ticlid, etc) make sure the office is aware. These medications may need to be discontinued for several days prior to your procedure, including anti-inflammatory medications (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, etc…) and blood work may need to be done. DO NOT stop blood thinners without approval from the prescribing medical provider.
- If you are taking any ANTIBIOTICS, contact the office staff prior to your visit to ensure your appointment will not need to be re-scheduled.
- If you are taking Glucophage (aka Metformin) and receiving a steroid injection, you must stop this medication 48-72 hrs procedure and do not re-start until 48 hours after your treatment. Ask your treating physician to confirm if steroid will be used for your injection.
- Leave your valuables and jewelry at home. Spine Care Specialists will not be responsible for lost or stolen items. Please bring your glasses with you, if you need them to read.
Additional instructions to follow IF YOU PLAN TO RECEIVE SEDATION:
- If your procedure is before noon, take nothing by mouth after midnight the night before your procedure. This includes gum, candy, food, and liquids. Also, do not smoke. You may have a small amount of water 4 hours prior to your procedure. If your procedure is schedule in the afternoon, you may have light breakfast 7 hours prior to the procedure.
- You MAY take prescription medicines (including blood pressure medications) with small sips of water.
- DIABETIC PATIENTS: DO NOT TAKE ANY INSULIN PRIOR TO COMING TO YOUR PROCEDURE. PLEASE BRING YOUR INSULIN AND TESTING SUPPLIES WITH YOU. YOU MAY DRINK CLEAR JUICE UP TO 4 HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR PROCEDURE.
- DO NOT DRINK ORANGE JUICE
- ASTHMA PATIENTS: PLEASE BRING YOUR INHALER(S)
- You MAY brush your teeth and rinse your mouth without swallowing any water the morning of your procedure.
- You MUST have a responsible person with a valid driver’s license drive you to the clinic and back home. Your procedure will be cancelled if you do not have a driver.
If you are NOT HAVING sedation, you can eat normally the day of the procedure and may drive yourself to and from the procedure. Please notify the staff if you prefer not to have sedation.